When I sat down to write this story, I went blank.
My own coach’s suggestion to connect with my truest self, and tell my story of discovery, made sense. Yet there I was, strangely paralyzed once the reality of putting it out there hit me.
“What IS this?” I thought. “Why the resistance?”
I realized what was holding me back was what holds us all back at some level – FEAR! That crazy tape player in my brain, my gremlin, asking, “But what if it’s not perfect? What if people don’t like me? What if, what if, what if?!”
Once I recognized my old pattern of self-sabotage sneaking in, I was able to set aside the fear and be motivated by the ability to help others I knew would relate to my struggles. And so I share my own journey, in the hopes that it will touch you in a way that helps you in yours.
26 years ago my husband and I co-founded a financial advisory practice that we still own to this day. I was the quintessential type-A personality, a super-achiever who pretty much accomplished everything I ever committed to. I’d set a goal, do whatever was necessary, achieve, and move on to the next goal. It worked! I was the youngest female in my state to achieve a lofty award at age 24; the first female to chair various professional boards of directors; a successful fundraiser for several local charities; and the recipient of numerous local, state and national awards. All this while raising a daughter and helping to raise two step-children.
To the outside world, it looked as though I was invincible, and I actually began to believe I was. But something inside me was shutting down. My health began deteriorating as early as my late 20’s, and by age 34 I was in a state of debility that made it impossible to lead a normal life.
The overwhelming pain, fatigue, and deep depression were finally diagnosed as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). I fought to overcome these issues for nearly two decades. My condition worsened to the point of complete collapse, when I could no longer process food or even water. The symptoms impacting my emotional, physical, mental, and spiritual states were endless.
Throughout this misery I prayed unceasingly for an answer. One night, out of the blue, “business coaching” popped into my head. I was quite skeptical. For eleven years I had participated in a highly regarded entrepreneurial coaching program, which had not altered my condition in the least. Still, the idea compelled me to seek further. What I discovered was nothing short of a miracle. My quest led me to a life-altering experience. Its name? Core Energy Coaching™.
The genetic condition that fueled my physical deterioration remains unchanged. What has changed is how I view my circumstances, my experiences, and my life. I´ve been able to shift from a severely catabolic state that was draining my life away, to a state of passion, purpose, joy, and fulfillment. The stress under which I operated for years is replaced by a sense of deep inner peace. With it have come major improvements in my health, my relationships, my creativity, and my energy level. I now truly experience a successful life, one aligned with my core personal values.
Strange as it may seem, I’m grateful for each moment of my journey. Had it not been for the complete collapse, I doubt I would have been motivated to seek answers that brought me to this place. And I surely would not have found my calling to support other super-achievers find their true north and experience the stress-free, fulfilling, robust lives they deeply crave and most certainly deserve.
DENISE CLELAN’S ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE:
- Certified COR.E Performance Dynamicsª Specialist
- Certified Professional Coach (IPEC) and Energy Leadershipª Master Practitioner
- Founder and Co-owner of Clelan and Company, a Financial Advisory Firm- 1989 to present
- Founder, President and CEO of Aegis Retirement Strategies, LLC- 2003 to present
- Qualifying and Life Member of the Million Dollar Roundtable with more than 32 Years Qualifying, Including 12 Court of the Table Appearances
- Central Penn Business Journal’s Women of Influence Award- 2011
- First woman in 47 years to serve as Chairwoman of the Keystone Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors’ Board- 2006
- Harrisburg Magazine’s Dynamic Women of Harrisburg Award- 2002
- Central Penn Business Journal’s Top 50 Women in Business Award- 2000
- Central Penn Business Journal’s Top 40 Business Leaders Under 40 Award- 1995
- First woman in more than 75 years to become President of the Harrisburg Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors- 1992